Frequently Asked Questions


What are P-EBT food benefits?

The Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) provides benefits to certain children who receive free or reduced-price school lunches under the National School Lunch Act. P-EBT is a temporary food benefit program operating during the COVID-19 pandemic. P-EBT only provides benefits for days that students lack access to an in-school lunch. P-EBT provides $6.82 per each school day that schoolchildren are engaged in remote learning.


Who is eligible for P-EBT benefits and do I qualify?

Your child and your school must meet certain criteria to be eligible for P-EBT:


Your Child:

  • Must be enrolled in free or reduced-price school meals at a school operating the National School Lunch Program; OR,

  • Must be enrolled in a Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) or Provision-2 school, which offers breakfast and lunch free to all students; AND,

  • Must have lacked access to an in-school lunch at least some days of the month

  • Students who attend private schools or other schools that do not participate in the free/reduced price meals program are not eligible to receive P-EBT.


Your School:

  • Must operate the National School Lunch Program; AND,

  • Must have been closed or operating at reduced capacity at least 5 consecutive days at some point during the 2020-2021 School Year.

  • Will report the number of days your student is present, and the amount families will receive will be based upon that information

How are P-EBT benefits issued? Do I need to apply?  

If your child is already enrolled in free or reduced-price school meals AND your address is up to date:

  • Your family will get P-EBT automatically. Each child will receive their own card.

  • Cards will be mailed to you in March.

  • Cards will arrive in an unmarked envelope so please be on the lookout.

  • Families should hold onto their P-EBT card(s) because future benefits will be loaded onto the same card.

If you are new to a school district, your child did not receive free or reduced-price meals last school year, OR you recently moved:

  • You must fill out an application for free or reduced-price school meals by contacting your school.

More frequently asked questions